Monday, February 4, 2013

Pohnpei Love



Kelsey Hebard served as a student missionary last year in Pohnpei, Micronesia.

1. What has surprised you most about being a student missionary?
All of it! I didn't know what to expect. But if I had to choose one thing it would be the crazy purpose and love I felt over in Pohnpei. It just hit me every day.

2. What is challenging about being a student missionary?
Realizing that your friends' and family member's lives don't stop while you're away; you miss some stuff and have to catch up when you return.
Swimming with Students

3. What has helped you overcome these challenges?
Remembering that God didn't stay behind in Pohnpei, He is everywhere with me and the people who love me and are patient with me and let me adjust to life here on my own time.

4. Where have you seen God working in your experience there? 
In the classroom
In the bonds I formed with my students, the other SMs, the locals, and even the relationships back home that became closer during my absence.

5. Why did you want to be a student missionary?
I actually wanted to go study abroad but then it just hit me that I not only wanted to go on an adventure but that I also wanted to serve God on that adventure and share His love with as many people as I could.

6. What do you miss the most about home?
I missed my family and friends, of course, and the comforts of home, but I also missed simply being a college student and acting like one. Now I miss being a teacher!

7. What is the purpose of a student missionary, to you?
Sleepy during Church

To share God with the people you encounter and to serve God by filling a need.

8. Do you feel you have made a difference in the lives of those around you in your mission post?
I can't really pinpoint where I made the greatest difference, but I know that I made a positive impact because I made my kids smile every day and because they made me smile every day. I loved them and I think that made the greatest difference.

9. Does the world still need student missionaries? If so, why?
Yes! There are so many places that need people for all sorts of service. The world is not perfect but a student missionary can sure make someone's world more cheerful.
Pohnpei SDA School

No comments:

Post a Comment