Friday, January 11, 2013

Shame On Me

Sarah Wart served as a Student Missionary in Comayagua, Honduras fall of 2011 to summer of 2012.
  
Yes, it is true. I have been very bad about posting these last few weeks. I guess not much has happened that is different from before. I returned back to Honduras after a week home with renewed hope for the second half of my 10 month stay. Honestly, I was glad to be back. I really do like Honduras...it's just teaching that sometimes makes me second guess my choice.
Naomi (my second grader) won first place at the 'festival de cancion"
School started back in full swing three weeks ago and we all plunged right back into the thick of it. The start of school brought with it stress, worry, and frustration, but also something new...confidence and even enjoyment mixed with a little humor. I can already tell that these last 5 months (almost 4 now) are going to go by so fast. We have already had another set of parent teacher meetings and a singing concert for the students.
I'm growing as a teacher. New ideas are always entering my mind. I try to find fun and easy ways in which to teach my students all about gravity, motion, the story of Noah and the Ark, and life skills like sharing, listening, and respecting people. I am starting to feel that these life skills are much more important than the topics at hand. I don't just want to leave my students with a little bit of knowledge to help them with their next year of school. No, I want to leave them with a new character, a better character, one that will improve their lives and, inadvertently, the lives of others.
I am trying to build deeper relationships with my students in 11th and 8th grade, as well as my 2nd graders, before my time here comes to an end. Having relationships with the students here helps me feel like I'm actually a part of something. Some days I lose sight of my purpose and have to really think and pray in order to get back on track. God is amazing though. He always brings little things to my attention that speak to me and remind me that I'm not only here for me; I'm here for them and for God. I hope to keep you better posted as the weeks become fewer in number. Sadly, my camera is acting up so I am relying on others for photos. Blessings.

Reposted from Sarah's blog,   http://wartster-in-honduras.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment