Friday, January 18, 2013

Pohnpei Musings



WWU's school newspaper, the Collegian, is running a feature next week on Student Missions.  We asked students to answer some FAQs about being an SM.  This response is from Tracy, who is currently teaching in Pohnpei.  

The Pohnpei missionaries: Tracy is in the purple shirt second from right.

 

1.  What has surprised you most about being a student missionary?
 
What I learn about my own cultured, while learning about theirs.


2. What is challenging about being a student missionary?

Everything! Grading, teaching, living!

3. What has helped you overcome these challenges?

I know we hear it all the time, but praying and reading my bible. But it is also absolutely necessary to talk to people more experienced then you as well!
 
4. Where have you seen God working in your experience there?
 
In my students, island family, the principle's family, the church and the other SMs!
 
5. Why did you want to be a student missionary?
 
Many reasons: mostly because I felt God had lead me to the point I was at, showing me that yes he did want me to go.
 
6. What do you miss the most about home?
 
Food, people and spending those quiet moments with my family.
 
7. What is the purpose of a student missionary, to you?
 
To share your experience of being with God.
 
8. Do you feel you have made a difference in the lives of those around you in your mission post? (For returned 
SMs, where do you see you made the greatest difference?)
 
Yes though some days it is hard to see how. Somehow God uses me though even through my imperfections.
 
9. Does the world still need student missionaries? If so, why?
 
Of Course! It is good to have younger people serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment