Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Magical Kenya

by Tanzi Lampert

Kenya

Tanzi loving the magic of Kenya.
Magical Kenya is what many refer to as the place I am living in for this year, and magical it is. I step out my front door and see a sunset out over the Ngong Hills every evening with the glorious rays of sunlight shining through the clouds from the heavens. I've even seen a double rainbow shimmering over the school in that same time the sun was fleeing from sight. 

As I walk out the door to go running every morning there are gazelles grazing in my front yard and birds singing. Driving down crazy, bumpy dirt roads I commonly get to see giraffe, baboons, zebra, and other "exotic" wildlife while on the more urban streets I have to dodge donkeys pulling carts, cattle being herded, chickens scurrying, and goats devouring everything. I also get to see fabric and clothing of so many variations hanging from market stalls displaying colors and patterns so enthralling that walking through the market isn't just a shopping experience, but a cultural experience, especially when the bartering and language barriers come into play. I am in awe of the three inch wide spiders that scurry along the surface of the walls in my home and wonder how I've become used to it.

In seeing everything around me and witnessing the ways in which God blesses I know what makes Kenya so magical. It isn't the wildlife, it isn't the culture or the people. What makes Kenya so magical is the Creator of the Universe, the One who makes all things new, the Giver of life and the King of Kings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment